Understanding the essence of our identity goes beyond knowing our origins. Decoding our genetic makeup, also known as the Deoxyribonucleic acid or DNA, is no longer just about discovering people’s biological orientation. DNA analysis is now an instrument in taking control of your well-being to mitigate health risks.
Considered as the first of its kind in the Philippines’ life insurance industry, a DNA-based wellness product called the myDNA Pro was recently launched to provide tailored diet and fitness recommendations on reducing health risks based on an individual’s DNA.
According to the Department of Health (DOH), the country’s leading health risks are type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure (hypertension), and high cholesterol (cardiovascular disease). These are also the leading causes of mortality in the Philippines. Though studies have shown that 70% of people’s risk for chronic diseases is attributed to lifestyle—body mass index, diet, exercise, etc.—the other 30% is influenced by the DNA.
As with every life insurance, myDNA Pro aims to equally prioritize health management and wealth protection. In collaboration with Hong-Kong based genetics testing company Prenetics Limited which developed the program, myDNA Pro is bundled with the Pru Life UK’s insuravest or investment-linked life insurance solutions.
“The myDNA Pro Bundle is a breakthrough product that will set a standard in the life insurance industry in helping Filipinos shape a better financial and wellness future for themselves,” said Allan Tumbaga, Senior Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer of Pru Life UK.
With just the provision of saliva swab sample, a comprehensive DNA report will be generated. A nutrigenomics report will be available too, explaining an individual’s nutritional needs, sensitivity to certain nutrients, and fitness traits based on his genetic makeup.
Chief-Executive-Officer of Prenetics Limited Danny Yeung assured that the reports are strictly confidential. “Prenetics will not share individual or identifiable genetic data and no information will be used for underwriting or claims assessment purposes,” he said. Yeung also clarified that all the information are for reference only and do not constitute nor are they intended to be construed as medical advice.
As a holistic package, there will also be a free 12-month exclusive access to the myDNA Pro mobile application, which serves as guide to the customers’ health and wellness journey, inclusive of lifestyle intervention program; support from an on-call health coach; a photo food diary; customized exercise videos; and an assessment on the daily diets.
Present in the event were the co-founder of The Sexy Chef Rachel Alejandro, fitness coach Bok Santos, and the new face of Pru Life UK Liza Soberano. In a panel interview, they discussed their personal approach in health protection and financial security that goes beyond regular exercise and diet.
Many Filipinos consider having a health insurance as an extra expense, but further exploring your options might lead you to new scientific endeavors such as this, suitable for both your needs and budget.